Wednesday, October 23, 2013

A, B, C...



Ellen Hess presenting letter "A".  A is for amethyst.
"I had just been assigned the letter A, and was thinking about what in nature was shaped like an A, when I took a trip to the Franklin Mineral Museum, and inspiration hit! I would do an amethyst crystal formation, and other 'a' minerals. Perfect!"

Front & Back - Ellen describes her process to us: I started by sketching amethyst crystals, then played with the shape of the silhouette and drawing techniques. Then I experimented with various media in shades of purple and violet, looking for some reflective effects. I settled on my rapidograph pen for the drawing, and Copic (and other) design markers and colored pencils for the coloring. Then I researched and drew other 'a' minerals, and colored them in, too.  I also used a technique that Elaine Gongora had talked about at one of the BAR meeting Show & Tells, in which she used tracing paper to outline an image, then glued it to a substrate and colored it in when it was dry. For the front, I hand painted the backgrounds directly onto the paper; for the back, I hand painted around color copies of my original drawings.




Patricia Toltl tells BAR about making letter "B".  All were unique!

"I was surprised and delighted by the many different images I found and altered when I choose to make each B an original separate artwork."

Front & Back - Patricia gives a wonderful description of her original process:  I used a technique that I came upon by chance. After drawing out 20 different sketches of my assigned letter B and still being dissatisfied with the results, in frustration I took newspaper photos and altered them first by erasing into the existing image, then adding to the image with graphite. I coated the back with acrylic medium to strengthen the paper, then used both colored pencil and acrylic paint to enhance the images.  I ended up with 29 different paintings for the front and 29 smaller paintings for the backs which were  then glued to mi tientes paper.





Ronni Pressman took letter "C".  "While I was attempting to make life more detailed and organized, [amidst a run of chaos,] I started to think about fractals - mathematical calculations seen visually in repeating patterns. They are so meticulously beautiful, and so delicately displaying ORDER. All of nature can be seen through these amazing graphics - ah, our theme has emerged as well. I started to manipulate a fractal pattern that I had created many years ago and it all started to come clear. The letter C was beginning to surface, hence, the front of my card. The back of the card came about from the identical fractal pattern, yet manipulated into a tessellating pattern of its own.”  

Front &Back - printed on Arches "88" printmaking paper, PIXMA ink. 




Picture credits:  Letter C, Ronni Pressman; the rest, Janet Ducote


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi Bar Members and book arts Friends. Please keep your comments to the subjects of book arts and the Book Arts Roundtable. We'd love to hear about books, websites and other sources of inspiration. Update us on your progress with a book related project.